As you know, your clothes speak volumes, because what you wear is an extension of your identity, and that affects your personal attractiveness.
The right outfit can have people coming up to you without a word and engaging in conversations.
It’s almost like magic.
For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the winter weather is still here, and in many other places it is raining. This begs the question “How can I remain attractively fashionable in the cooler months?”
A great place to start is with the coats you wear.
Many coat options for men are decidedly unattractive. Leave your ski jackets at home (unless you are hitting the slopes, of course) and put your pro-team bomber jackets back in your closets until the day of the big game.
Instead, opt for a more classic men’s coat that is timeless in its appeal and will be sure to
turn heads in your direction.
Here are two “Can’t Fail” options:
THE PEA COAT
My first suggestion for you to consider is the classic, ever enduring and always alluring pea
Like many lasting fashion components, the pea coat’s history is rooted in the military arena.
Since the 1700’s, overcoats similar in nature to the modern pea coat have been worn by sailors of European and American navies. In fact, to this day, the pea coat is standard issue for the brave men and women of the U.S. Navy.
Be sure to know that bit of history when someone comments on your jacket. It’s great for spring-boarding into follow up conversation. Start with, “Did you know…”
Because the classic pea coat continues to be fashionable and stylish, multiple variations of the classic style are sold by many retailers in North America.
Being a military issue garment, many pea coats can be picked up at army surplus stores for very reasonable prices.
If you would like to purchase a more elegant pea coat, many top designers offer their own versions of the cool and functional cold-weather coat.
Regardless of where you purchase your coat, you shouldn’t buy a style that strays too far from the classic military original.
Here’s what you want to look for when you buy a pea coat:
- High-quality U.S. Navy issue pea coats or civilian produced pea coats will be made from
- Durable and winter chill thwarting wool so be wary of any brand of pea coat that isn’t primarily composed of quality wool or another cold-resistant fabric for its outer layer.
- Wide lapels, large buttons, and vertical or slash pockets are notable characteristics of classic pea coats. They should all be present.
- Your clothing must fit! This type of coat can look very bulky on a man with a thin frame. If you face this problem, bring your purchase to a local tailor for a quick fix. He’ll make the pea coat much more form fitting to your shape.
THE LEATHER JACKET
It’s a rare piece of culture that combines the rugged and elegant qualities of nature. And when you slide on this classic coat option it instantly makes you feel like a rock-star.
This legendary coat has been worn by a number of icons.
Marlon Brando wore a leather jacket in “The Wild One” way back in 1953.
The Fonz rocked one on the American TV show “Happy Days” that aired in the 1970s and 1980s.
This quick glace at Hollywood serves as proof to the jacket’s lasting impression as a cool staple of fashion.
Like the pea coat, the leather jacket also has military links.
Brown leather jackets, also known as “Bomber Jackets” were worn by aviators and other members of the military.
However, don’t think the military look was the only attractive persona that the leather jacket has helped produce. It served as an important component in the creation of the biker look, the rock star, and the quintessential rebel.
Because of this, there are now quite a few styles of leather jackets available for you to choose from. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when choosing your type of leather jacket:
- Try many of them on, look in a mirror, and pay attention to how wearing the jacket makes you feel. Do you feel like a rebel? How about a rock star or fighter pilot? Pick the one that most represents your personality and fits best with the rest of your wardrobe.
- The punk or biker versions of leather jackets studded with spikes and dangling straps should only be worn by such types, lest you risk a beating by said subcultures.
- This year, the trend is toward a very form-fitting style of leather jacket. There are some “sportier” versions that often come adorned with a white stripe down the sleeve, but that version seems a trite overdone.
- The “skinny” leather jacket can be found at most fashionable retailers. I recently found such a jacket at a Los Angeles H&M for less than $200.00. I completely adore the coat and if I’m heading to a club and there is even a slight wind you bet your buttons it’s going on my back.
- If you see me out in my stylish leather, please approach me and ask, “What are you rebelling against?”
Wearing such a jacket is an open opportunity to engage in conversations about rebellion and breaking the rules – extremely exciting topics.
Go out and be your stylish best.
If you want to upgrade more than just your style, and learn to be interesting on the inside and outside, our best-selling course The Most Interesting Person in the Room will change your life.
Neil teaches you his secrets to building social value, creating unforgettable dates and social events, and using storytelling to speak about yourself in a way that will have people talking and wanting to know more.